Saturday, August 23, 2008

Trip to Prey Veng province

My first ever experience to walk in the flood of Phnom Penh city was unforgettable for me.

How I reach the car

It was on late Friday evening 15th of August that I walked under the rain and it was a scary day for me to walk alone in the water. I had waited at my working place for nearly an hour before the car that we rent to Prey Veng arrived .

Once it came I had to go find it near UNDP. It was a heavy rain and nearly all the roads in Phnom Penh city were stuck in the water and the car that I and my other six friends was far away from my working place( WWF).

As the car could not come to pick me near the Misnitry of Planning, I need to walk about 20 mn just from WWF to UNDP. There was only me who walked alone at nearly 8pm. I felt that it was do dangerous cos I could have been drown in the sewage system( Lu Tek). Luckily, I could find the car.

A car with 8 People

When I reached the car, I was so so happy cos I wouldn't get soak any more. But it was more that I expect it to be. In the small camery car, there were 8 people including a driver. In the front part, there was 3 people while at the back there were 5.

All the three guys were in front, at the back there are Seila( M), Geoff( M), Nila, Nearyroath, and me. I couldn't have a small space to take a deep breath or remove my coat cos we all seem to sit tightly together. Until we arrive at Nek Leoung Ferry, some people get out of the car to stand seeing the view night time , I could seat easily. Then we start to keep our style of sitting again or we can't seat together.

Prey Veng our destination


After having travelling nearly 3 hours, we arrive at the hall( prey veng). Everyone felt sleepy and tired. But we joined a nice dinner together. Then we went to the hotel which was arranged by Mr. Lux ( IRI). We went to bed happily cos it nearly 12pm that we could sleep as tomorrow we will have to get up to join the "Youth Festival " at Prey Veng town.


What have we done in the event?

Actually we did not have a clear purpose on what to do but Mr. Lux said we at least had to contribute something. Then the idea came out . " Provide consultant: education background, learning experience, media, phychology, law, English learning...." to our audience.

For sure we could do it perfectly. On that event I also have to write story for my editor ( Reaksmey Kampuchea). I soon interview some peoplel, combine the source and then write a story.

when we are back that our lucky again that we could come with the actor Mr. Chea Samnang who also joined the youth festival"youth challenger"....


MY first byline

Although it was not in the front page of the paper, the event was published in the Reaksmey Kampuchea newspaper and the online of it called www.cambodiaexpressnews.com

I was really happy to see my name written down in that paper.

No comments: